Tuesday 11 March 2008

An apology

Almost 10 years ago we played Liverpool in the Carling Cup at Anfield. It was a fairly cold late October evening and I had to sit in the 'home' end having not secured tickets in time. We lost, although Paul Peschisolido scored a peach of a goal that, at one stage, allowed us to dream.

As the minutes ticked down with Michael Owen & Co well in command, the Fulham fans as one started singing: We'll be back in two years' time. It even drew a round of applause from our hosts and illustrated the great spirit we have at this club.

I was reminded of this during the depths of my mini-depression during the past 10 days following our painful - tho predictable - defeat at the hands of United. The defeat had sent me into a sulk from which I've only just emerging.

I haven't even been able to summon the enthusiasm to keep the blog updated. Sad? Yes. Pathetic? Undoubtedly, but football brings out the irrational animal in most of us. Or does it? Roy Hodgson, it appears, is above all that.

You don't hear him bemoaning his lot; whinging about the state of the pitch or the fact that the referees were against us. He just quietly, confidently, gets on with the job in hand. No fuss, no fanfare, no histrionics. I, for one, am glad that he is at the helm.

Now, quite frankly I think our number is up this season but I intend going to every match I can - home and away - to support our boys. Having the backing of the crowd might just swing the pendulum in our favour, and if it doesn't? Well, as we sang back in '98 we'll be back again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story. Thanks!