Thursday 22 November 2007

Woeful England

A couple of months ago I questioned whether I really cared whether the national side won or lost. This morning I have my answer: yes, I do. The last time I can remember feeling physically sick the day after a match was when the boys down the road squeezed us out of a tight FA Cup Semi-Final at Villa Park a few years ago. All I could think when i opened my eyes was: what if?

I actually felt McClaren was the best man for the job when all the names were being tossed around in the wake of Eriksson's departure - certainly better than Sam Allardyce at least - as he had been around the England set-up for years, understood how it worked, and perhaps more importantly, knew what motivated and inspired the players. It seems I was wrong.

Anyway, there's little point agonising over it. In reality there's a far more important match to our long-term happiness on Sunday afternoon when the Whites entertain Blackburn Rovers...let's just hope they can deliver the goods otherwise we'll all have more than just the disappointment of England not being in the Euros when next May rolls around.

No comments: