Thursday 27 September 2007

Misery at the Cottage

I am really struggling to put a brave face on things this morning. Out of a cup again before the tournament has even really got underway. Depressing, annoying and irritatingly predictable. I was unable to attend last night's game due to other commitments, a fact I was depressed about until I received a text informing me - yet again - that we had fallen behind due to a Chris Baird error. Another game, another poor piece of defending by the young Irishman. What was he doing playing anyway???? If his performances in recent games have taught us anything it's that he needs time away to get his act together. Maybe i'm being unfair - I am basing my opinion on second-hand accounts which is never ideal - but the fact he was subbed perhaps indicates that a tipping point has been reached for Sanchez as well. Let's hope so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob, it was Baird’s fault if it was anyone’s fault, but as best I can remember here’s what happened. The ball came his way about waist height to his left. He tried to volley clear but didn’t get hold of it. Bad clearance, but there were about 50 bad clearances last night. Sadly, but predictably, Chris’s mistake was capitalised on.

He really had no bother last night at all. The Bolton forwards were nothing to worry about and it looked like being a valuable confidence building performance for him. Then that happened and people starting with the “Moritz Volz” crap. I felt so angry, and so sorry for the lad. He must be petrified out there now, and you can see that where before he might have crossed the ball, now he’s passing onto a teammate. He needs a break, but I’m ashamed of how some of the idiots in the stands reacted.

Genuine question: if a team makes 10 identical mistakes, and one is punished, is the player who made the mistake that got punished any worse than the players who made the other mistakes?


Rich

Rob said...

Thanks for that Rich and you make a very good point about mistakes in the last paragraph...Personally I blame Sanchez for putting him in that position. Everyone can see he needs a break but he's not going to improve by being thrust into the spotlight every game. Poor management in my opinion.