Tuesday 15 January 2008

Bristol...in the rain

If you live in England then the chances are that you will have woken up to howling wind and driving rain - great weather for football eh?!

Ironically, the last time we played Bristol Rovers away conditions were similar and I remember it very well. In fact, I dug out the programme and it was in a dreadful condition due to the utter drenching that it (and I) received on that Friday night.

The match was during our 1998/99 promotion season from what is now classed as League One (or the old third division as it was known in the good ol' days), there was no roof over most of the away section, it was so foggy you could barely see the players and the pitch was a mud bath.

There was also a lady running the line - still a rare sight even today - who received a fair bit of stick poor thing as I remember. We actually ran out winners although the conditions were so bad I don't actually remember seeing any of the goals!

Happy days though seeing Fulham win away eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's exactly how I remember Rovers' ground as well. I remember a group of us Yanks suggesting it be called "the Chili Bowl" because the pitch looked like a bowl of lumpy chili.

And, of course, we're postponed a week -- like Bristol is going to better in late january than in early Jan.

Nemmind, ay?