Tuesday 8 January 2008

The worst possible result

Due to late family problems I was unable to attend our match against Bristol Rovers on Sunday afternoon and never feel it's right to comment on the performance/commitment of a team if I haven't actually been in the ground myself....

...However, I do believe the result is the worst possible outcome for us. I would have rather us be knocked out of the cup then have to play an annoying replay when all we really want to do is concentrate on the league.

That said, if we do manage to win away (although even against lower league opposition this will be a tall order) there is the prospect of Swindon or Barnet away so a little run in the cup is not beyond our reach.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realise I'm in a minority here, but I actually think it's not so bad. For us to improve I think we need to be playing football and these games can give us the chance to try out Hodgson's instructions with out the fear of losing. As a Premier League side we play much less football than we used to in the lower leagues so I think the replay should not have too big an impact, and may even give some of those players returning from injury the chance to play a bit. We do really need to get through the replay because having a weekend off on 26th/27th January would be the last thing we need in my view.

Rob said...

actually chopper i think you make a very good point there, i didn't give that much thought. what do you make of hodgson? he certainly seems to talk a good game, although lawrie did as well back in may!

Anonymous said...

I'm with chopper on this also, Rob. I think matches are what's needed for Roy to sort out our problems. I'm also keeping one eye on our reserve matches and another on the transfer window just trying to figure out who'll be our "preferred 11" come Feb 1. Nervous times indeed.

But, yeah; I'd like a bit of a cup run. I think we can do over Rovers and then enjoy a non-league encounter. If nothing else, they're two away wins, and maybe that'll be habit forming.

Jason Gatties said...

I've been saying this on my blog and agree with Chopper 100%. Playing well and advancing as far as possible in the FA Cup is an important confidence boost for our club.

Anonymous said...

I was less than impressed with Hodgson when his name was announced but the more I've read the better I feel. Agree Rob, that it doesn't matter what he says it's what he achieves that will count, but I do feel more positive now about Hodgson than I did at the start.

Rob said...

Cheers for your comments guys. In retrospect I think you're right. The team needs games under its belt - particularly those that are not life and death which everything seems to be in the Premier League these days